sur web cnrs
UMR SIRICE 8138
44 rue de l’Amiral Mouchez
- John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass. Doctor of Public Administration (Dr.P.A.), 1992).
- John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, July 1, 1997-present. Since 1 July 2006 an Associate at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Kennedy School. Also an Affiliate at the Center for European Affairs, Harvard University.
Research Fellow, National Security Affairs
- John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (Sept 1989 Sept 1991). Study Group Leader, Institute of Politics (1990-91), Topic : "The CIA, The Intelligence Community and American Democracy."
Intelligence Officer (SIS-4)
- Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C. (October 1954-September,1991). Overseas tours in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. Chief of Near East-South Asia division in the Directorate of Operations from mid-1979 to mid-1984. Chief in Paris, 1984-1989.
- Member of the Council on Foreign Relations
- External member of the Conseil Scientifique of the Charles de Gaulle Foundation, Paris
- Member of the Board of Overseers of the French Library, Boston
- “Oldest Allies, Guarded Friends : the United States and France since 1940”, Westport, Conn. : Praeger, 1994.
- “Charles de Gaulle : a Brief Biography with Documents”, New York : Bedford Books of St. Martin’s Press, 1995.
- Forced to Choose : France, the Atlantic Alliance and NATO — Then and Now, Westport, Conn. : Praeger, 1997.
- Alliés éternels, amis ombrageux : les Etats-Unis et la France depuis 1940, Brussels : Bruylant, 1999. (French version of “Oldest Allies,” with adaptations).
- The Third Option : the Emancipation of European Defense, 1989-2000, Westport, Conn. : Praeger, Praeger, 2001.
- French Negotiating Behavior : Dealing with ‘la Grande Nation’, Washington, DC : United States Institute of Peace Press, 2003.
- Diplomatie à la française, Paris : Editions Jacob-Duvernet, 2005. (French version of “French Negotiating Behavior,” with an updating).
- La République de Dieu, Paris : Editions Jacob-Duvernet, 2008.
Articles (since 2006)
- “Stay-Behind in France : Much Ado About Nothing ?” Presentation to a conference on “Intelligence in Waging the Cold War : NATO, the Warsaw Pact and the Neutrals, 1949-1990,” Oslo, April 28-May 1, 2005. Published in The Journal of Strategic Studies, Vol. 30, Number 6, December 2007.
- “Washington at the Liberation, 1944-1947.” Presentation to a conference on “Revisiting the Liberation : France 1944-47.” University of Reading, September 16-17, 2005. Published as a co-authored chapter with Andrew Knapp in The Uncertain Foundation : France at the Liberation, 1944-47, edited by Andrew Knapp. London : Palgrave MacMillan, 2007.
- “Charles de Gaulle et Harry Truman, 1945-1946,” presentation to a conference on “De Gaulle et les presidents des Etats-Unis,” November 23, 2005. Published in Cahiers de la Fondation Charles de Gaulle, No. 16, 2006.
- “Existe-t-il un style français de négociation ?” Presentation to the Ecole Nationale d’Administration, Strasbourg, January 11, 2006.
- “Le mal du renseignement américain : coordination à la place de commande,” AGIR, No. 25, March 2006.
- “L’Irak, le renseignement, et la décision politique,” Le Banquet, No. 23, March 2006.
- “The Incredible Lightness of Decision : the Iraq War and WMD,” presentation to a conference at the Hanss-Seidel-Stiftung Center, Wildbad Kreuth, Bavaria, January 25-26, 2006. Published in French in Défense, No. 121, May-June 2006.
- “Le style diplomatique français,” Annuaire français des relations internationales, No. 7, May 2006.
- “French Negotiating Behavior.” Presentation to the Université de Thales, Jouy-en-Josas, France May 29, 2006.
- “Diplomatie à la Française : Regard sur une analyse atypique,” Diplomatie, No. 21, July-August 2006, p. 40-44.
- “Le regard d’un ancient de la CIA sur les relations franco-américaines,” interview with Isabelle Lasserre and Laure Mandeville, Politique Internationale, summer 2006, No. 112 (web version).
- “La gouvernance globale : la vision américaine.” Presentation to a conference at the French Senate on the occasion of the tenth annversary of the Ecole de Guerre Economique (EGE), April 13, 2007. Publication forthcoming in the proceedings of the conference.
- “Europe’s Military Role : A View from Washington.” Presentation to a conference on “American Perceptions of the European Union,” Washington, June 4-5, 2007, sponsored by the Center for Transatlantic Relations of the School for Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, and the Centre Thucydide of the Université Panthéon-Assas Paris II. Publication forthcoming in the proceedings of the Conference.
- “Caught in the Middle : OPEC Policies Toward the Soviet Union and the West.” Presentation to a conference on “The Energy Facgtor in the History of International Relations,” MGIMO University, Moscow, November 22-23, 2007.
- “Talleyrand : opportunisme pour la France.” April 2008. Part of an edited volume (“L’opportunisme sous toutes ses formes”) sponsored by the Institut d’Administration des Entreprises (AIE), Aix-la-Chapelle, France. Publication forthcoming by Presses Universitaires de France.
- “Overview : the Espionage of Oleg Penkovskiy,” in Exploring Intelligence Archives, eds. R. Gerald Hughes, Peter Jackson and Len Scott (London : Routledge, 2008).
- “La force de l’État,” Diplomatie, April-May 2008, p. 14-15.
- “La République de Dieu,” Diplomatie, No. 32, May-June 2008.
- “Mésentente : France and the Anglo-Americans Between the two Iraq Wars.” July 2008. Publication forthcoming in a collected work by Routledge.
- “Washington, Sarkozy, and the Defense of Europe.” Presentation at the annual conference of the American Political Science Association, Boston, MA, August 29, 2008. Publication forthcoming in the proceedings of the conference. (Same talk given at Scripps College, Claremont, CA, September 24, 2008).
- “Sarkozy, Washington and the Defense of Europe.” Presentation to the European Union Center of California, Scripps College, Claremont, CA., September 24, 2008.
- “Retrospective : Afghanistan : Partners in Time.” World Policy Journal, Vol. XXV, No. 3, Fall 2008, p. 153-56.
- “Payback Time : Flemings and Walloons in Today’s Belgium.” Presentation to a conference of the Cultural Change Institute, Tufts University, October 2008. Publication forthcoming in the proceedings of the conference.
- “Obama and Sarkozy : the ‘Era of Good Feeling’ : Epiphenomenon or Something More ?” Le Courrier, French American Chamber of Commerce, New England, Winter 2009, p. 8-9.
- “Le bilan historique des relations franco-américaines.” Presentation at Laval University, Québec, February 25, 2009.
- “The New U.S. Administration : Foreseeable Policy Trends in the Greater Middle East.” Presentation to a conference of the NATO Defense College, Rome, March 4, 2009. Publication forthcoming in the proceedings of the conference.
- “La diplomatie française vue des États-Unis.” Presentation to “Les Matins de l’Espadon, Maison des Polytechnicies, Paris, March 11, 2009.
- Presentation to a symposium entitled, “The French-American Presidential Connection : Communication and Coordination during Crisis,” held at the Meridian International Center, Washington, April 20, 2009.
- “Diplomatie à la française.” La Revue Parlementaire, No. 916, May 6, 2009.
Work in Progress
- French portion of a six-country case study on the Suez Affair, for the John F. Kennedy School of Government, publication forthcoming.
- “Washington, Sarkozy, and the Defense of Europe,” presentation to the annual conference of the American Political Science Association, August 2008.
- “Payback Time : Flemings and Walloons in Today’s Belgium,” presentation to a conference at Tufts University on cultural differences, October 2008.
- “La nécessaire adaptation des services américains,” Questions Internationales, n° 35, January-February 2009, p. 54-62